Facebook Pinterest Instagram Teachers Pay Teachers Blog Lovin' Image Map

Sunday, August 21, 2016

The First Day of School PLUS My Class Schedule


I love getting to see other teachers' classrooms. Almost as much - I love to see their schedules. It's amazing to me how different all of our schools and classrooms are. So tonight I wanted to share my new class schedule for this year, along with what my 1st day of school looks like.

A little bit of background - I teach 4th grade math and science. My students have 2 teachers - 1 for math/science and 1 for language arts/social studies. So I have two instructional blocks. This year I have 20 students in each class. Our school day is 7:40-2:55.

The First Day of School

7:35-7:40 When students come in, there is a word search & a pencil at each spot. The word search has everyone's name in it. 
7:40-7:45 School announcements
7:45-7:50 Discuss hallway behavior
7:55-8:45 Specials - Art
8:45-8:55 Bathroom break - discuss expectations
9:00 Circle Up morning meeting - everyone will share their name and one word to tell about their summer
9:15 Technology lesson (we are a 1 to 1 campus - each student will get an iPad): go over iPad trust card and consequences for misuse of iPad
9:45 Brain break - play the clapping game (1 student goes in the hall, the rest choose 1 object in the room - when the student comes back in we have to help him/her find the item by clapping when they're close. No talking or pointing!)
10:00 Snack & Read Aloud - I'm reading The Most Magnificent Thing 
10:15 I'll show this clip on failure and have students connect it to the story. This will set the stage for our work on growth mindset later in the week. 
10:30 Sort school supplies - I use a slideshow that I made to help students know how to sort all of their supplies. This is my least favorite part of the day!
11:30 Rules - we'll have a class discussion about our school rules and the consequences/rewards that go along with them. 
11:45 Get ready for lunch (more rules!)
11:55-12:50 Lunch/Recess
12:55 Students are going to make a time capsule - they'll fill out a sheet about themselves that we'll add to a class time capsule. 
1:45 Switch classes - my other class will come in for an hour. We'll sort supplies and repeat the read aloud and failure video from the morning. 
2:45 Switch classes and get ready to go home
2:55 We made it!! 

I'm exhausted just thinking about all of this....

Okay here is my regular class schedule for 2016-2017:

7:35-7:40 Students arrive, unpack and read
7:40-7:45 School announcements
7:45-7:50 Circle Up (like a morning meeting, but following a district mandated format)
7:55-8:45 Specials (Art, Music or PE depending on the day - this is my planning time)
8:50-9:40 Personalized Learning Time (this is our intervention/enrichment block. This is when students who receive special services like G/T or dyslexia get pulled)
9:45-11:45 Instructional Block One 
11:55-12:50 Lunch/Recess
12:50-2:50 Instructional Block Two (math/science with the other class, an hour for math & an hour for science)
2:55 Dismissal

What does your schedule look like this year? Tell me in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment