Facebook Pinterest Instagram Teachers Pay Teachers Blog Lovin' Image Map

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Launching Math Workshop, Part 4


Just joining in? Check out the rest of this blog series!

Read on to find out what day 4 of math workshop looks like.

By day 4, I'm just excited that I've made it to the end of the first week! I'm also amazed by how well my kids are doing with math workshop. The structure is very different than what they're used to and there's a lot for them to figure out.

Day 4 is all about creating workshop rules & becoming independent.

Before the kids start working, we create an anchor chart on our math workshop rules. The class helps decide on the rules based on their experiences throughout the week. Of course I forgot to take a picture of our anchor chart...

Our rules focused on working the whole time, using math tools appropriately (tools, not toys), working together (helping, not giving answers), problem solving, and reading the directions (I really try to make a big deal out of this one). 

Once we've reviewed the rules and the structure of math workshop, I have the kids hold up a number to show me what box they are on in our blendspace. (Wondering what blendspace is? Check out this post).

Then we spend the rest of the time working on finishing up the activities. Here are a couple of pictures of my kids hard at work.


You can find all of the activities my kids did, including the video, in my Teachers Pay Teachers store.


That ends my week of launching math workshop! Over the next couple of weeks I'll be reinforcing routines with students and helping them understand where and how to turn their work in. By the 3rd week, I'll start pulling my guided math groups. 

No comments:

Post a Comment